Skip to main content

Back To The Basics

Click photo above to see photo clearly

 It's Been A LOOONG Minute since I have coded!!  

Even so, I decided to give JavaScript another try.  I always seem to do good and then when I get to this one area, I always seem to hit a brick wall. 

Well....nothing like getting back up and trying again right?  

I decided to try Rithm School's online JavaScript Fundamentals FREE course.  I have never joined their school but their free courses tend to explain things in a way my brain understands it.  💁

To let you know how much I have forgotten in the coding world, I couldn't even remember how to write the basic commands for an HTML document!

Yesterday I started the fundamentals free course and I am so glad that I did.  Because of time, I only made it through the JavaScript History and Setup chapter, but that chapter was enough to get my memory flowing again!  

It started to feel familiar and I quickly remembered why I enjoyed coding so much.  Yesterday and this morning, I just erased and re-wrote the basic HTML format (and I included a JavaScript tag in there as well) so that I could re-commit it to memory.

I wanted to see if the document would populate correctly when I was finished, so I had to really think hard about how to get it to render on a webpage without cheating and looking up the answer.

I am glad I was able to figure it out.

The steps in case you need a refresher yourself: 

1. I wrote my code using Sublime Text Editor 

    a.  I have the free version.

2. When I started typing my code, I realized I didn't see the different colored text I am used to seeing when typing an HTML document, so on the bottom right hand corner of the text editor, I selected HTML.  The text editor then recognized my code as HTML and the rainbow of different colors I am used to seeing reappeared.  😊

3. When I was finished, I saved my document as 'index.html' using 'Command S'.

4. I am on a Mac so I went into my finder and found the 'index.html' file and double clicked on it.  I then selected 'Open'.

5. I was happy to see my file correctly open and render on the chrome browser.  Below you can see the photos of the webpage.

Click photo to see photo clearly

I used the <script></script> tag within my header  of my code so as you can see in the photo to the left, that that is the first thing that populated on my webpage.

Once I clicked the blue "OK" button, I was able to  see what the webpage populated in the next photo.

Click photo to see photo clearly



The photo on the right shows you what the webpage populated AFTER my JavaScript command was finished running.


                                          

I am REALLY excited and a little nervous about trying to learn JavaScript.  I have had a love hate relationship with that language lol, but I am willing to give it another try. 

I did open up an EC2 instance on AWS last week, so I am going to see if I can remember how to SCP my files into my EC2 instance.  If I have trouble, I will have to refresh my memory by reading my posts from years past! 😝

I'll keep you posted on how that goes...

Some tools I am memorizing on the Mac:

command S = to save a file

command option J = to open the JavaScript console from a webpage

command L = no matter where your mouse is on the screen, this command will put the cursor on the address bar so you can enter a new web address

command K = will clear the console

To make a BLANK webpage so that when you are on the console, you do not have to look at whatever webpage you are on, simply type in the address bar:  about:blank


THAT's all for now!


If you want to follow me on my journey to re-learning all of this, check out my website:   irontreedev.com






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

XPATH and XPATH Expressions In XMLLINT

XPATH And XPATH Expressions Earlier, I told you about xmllint and xmllint for html files .  Let's say you just want to parse the <span> tags within your html file or just your <span lang="el"> tags? Enter:  Xpath. Xpath is yet another option available within the xmllint language. Remember, an Xpath is used to navigate through elements and attributes in xml and html documents.  Xpath uses Xpath Expressions to select nodes or node sets within a document. Example 1 .  Looking for all of the <span> tags within an html document. xmllint -- html -- xpath " // span" StedmanLesson10.html xmllint = This tells the command line that we are going to be using the xmllint language. space = because we always have space in between commands -- = Remember, these are the two hyphen-minus characters that we need to tell the command line that we are going to use an xmllint option. html = This is the xmllint option we want to

GIT Commands: Pull, Add, Commit, Push.....and sometimes Revert

Pull, Add, Commit, Push ...... then Repeat We talked about GIT, GIT Hub , and the three different areas GIT works in.  Now it is time to talk about some of the most used GIT commands.   I am currently working with a team on a project called Stedman.  We are all using the GIT Hub server to track our work as we make changes to the files within the Stedman project.   Many changes can be made by other members of the team, from the time I sign off to the time I sign back on.  How do I get the changes they made to a file I need to work on, onto my computer? ENTER GIT COMMANDS : 1.  The first thing I do is goto my command window on my computer and navigate to the directory where the file I want to work in is located (this will be a directory that is being tracked by GIT).   *If you need a quick refresher:  cd file_name   will take you through each of your directories until you reach your desired location.  Issuing an  ls   command will list the files (sub-di